[SciPy-dev] a modest proposal for technology previews

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Mon Nov 3 18:36:37 CST 2008

I have been thinking about how to best get useful, widely-needed,
high-quality code with a good, stable API into scipy without creating
an unnecessary burden on developers or early adopters.  Unfortunately,
I don't have time to fully flesh out what I have been thinking; but I
went ahead and started writing a SEP:

Please note that I don't intend this to replace scikits or other
staging grounds.  I imagine that a project could easily start as a
scikit and mature there.  Then a number of developer decide that it
belongs in scipy proper.  Rather than just working in a branch until
the code is ready for release to the world.  This mechanism would
allow any additional incubator for code maturation and development.

I would love to hear everyone's initial thoughts, suggestions, and
ideas.  I will try and incorporate these comments into the SEP and
then we can discuss whether we should accept, reject, or defer the
SEP.  I have been kicking the idea around a bit with Fernando, Chris,
Stefan, and others; so I can't claim the idea is mine.  I am just
trying to write it up.  If anyone once to help out, the SEP is checked
into the scipy trunk.

I plan to work on it more later tonight to flesh out some of the ideas
better.  But in the spirit of "release early, release often" ... have
at it.

Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley
phone: 510.643.4014