[SciPy-dev] the state of scipy unit tests

Nathan Bell wnbell@gmail....
Sun Nov 23 20:56:55 CST 2008

In the past, I would always run 'nosetests scipy' before committing
changes to SVN.  Due to the current state of the unit tests, I don't
anymore, and I suspect I'm not alone.

Here are the main offenders on my system:

I appreciate the fact that rigorous testing on this module takes time,
but 4 minutes on a 2.4GHz Core 2 system is unreasonable.  IMO 20
seconds is a reasonable upper bound.  Essential tests that don't meet
this time constraint should be filtered out of the default test suite.

Takes 2.5 minutes and litters my screen with a few hundred lines like,
/tmp/tmpcRI5WR/sc_3a5c7ad3ac45a98d03cd9168232f7d8f1.cpp:618: warning:
deprecated conversion from
and dumps a bunch of .cpp and .so files in the current working directory.

Some minor offenders:

Emits several UserWarnings (should be filtered out with warnings.warnfilter).

Several DeprecationWarnings

A dozen lines like "zcopy:n=3"

Outputs ATLAS info and a dozen lines like "zcopy:n=3".

I'd like to be able to run the entire battery of tests in about a
minute with minimal unnecessary output.

Nathan Bell wnbell@gmail.com