[SciPy-dev] Some Q's vis-a-vis Numpy unicode support

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Tue Aug 11 19:41:33 CDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 7:49 PM, David Goldsmith<d_l_goldsmith@yahoo.com> wrote:
> OK, may have answered Q1 myself: unless I'm misunderstanding what I'm seeing, what I'm finding is that capitalize() does nothing at all if the chararray is of dtype unicode - correct?  Thanks,

>>> b
>>> b.capitalize()

see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1006450/capitalizing-non-ascii-words-in-python

> DG

not by default ( in US english at least)
but the code page number can be changed, which I never tried

>help graftabl
Enable Windows to display an extended character set in graphics mode.

   xxx      Specifies a code page number.
   /STATUS  Displays the current code page selected for use with GRAFTABL.

from python session in windows command shell (it prints correctly in
case mail doesn't render it)
>>> print u'\xe9'
>>> print u'\xe9'.capitalize()
>>> u'\xe9'.capitalize()

but I cannot print any numpy.chararrays without getting
>>> c= np.array(u'\xe9','<U1')
>>> print c
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in
position 0: ordinal not in range(128)

(this is in Idle, with cp1252 I think)

the usual encode, decode problems with unicode, which take several
hours of trial and error and reading docs to figure out.