[SciPy-dev] change print statements to print functions in docstrings

David Goldsmith d_l_goldsmith@yahoo....
Sat Aug 15 17:29:48 CDT 2009

--- On Sat, 8/15/09, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 12:44 PM,
> Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> I'm not convinced it is a good idea, even
> pedagogically. First, all the python books I have are for
> the python-2.x versions, and second it saddles the students
> with having to make a distinction between printing single
> items vs printing multiple items. It's better, I think,
> to wait until we have a python 3.x version of numpy.
> Okay fair enough. Change or no change, I have no strong
> opinion, as long as it is done consistently for all
> docstrings.
At this point in this thread, I've reached the "strong opinion" that I'm +1 w/ Charles: speaking as someone who's gung-ho to make the docstrings as pedagogically useful as possible, I feel code-docstring consistency trumps this - IMO, the docstrings should not be be changed prior to the code itself being changed.

Do You Yahoo!?