[SciPy-dev] draft: NumPy User Guide introduction

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Thu Aug 20 18:22:17 CDT 2009

2009/8/20 David Goldsmith <d_l_goldsmith@yahoo.com>:
>> > of arr.* methods (maybe others differ with me on this
>> point?).
>> From an editor's perspective, I would be neutral. The
>> author of an
>> example should use whatever they feel gets their point
>> across best.
>> Editors should leave that choice alone.
> However, I'm curious to hear Stefan's reasons/reasoning?

I guess I should have said "others *will* differ with me on this point" :-)

I like the idea of an ndarray being a concise description of bytes in
memory.  At the moment, we have a couple of "special" methods attached
to it, but we could just as well have added fewer or more, and
personally I'd have preferred none.