[SciPy-dev] Suppressing of numpy __mul__, __div__ etc

Dmitrey tmp50@ukr....
Mon Dec 14 12:16:13 CST 2009

--- Исходное сообщение ---
От кого: Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com>
Кому: SciPy Developers List <scipy-dev@scipy.org>
Дата: 14 декабря, 20:06:46
Тема: Re: [SciPy-dev] Suppressing of numpy __mul__, __div__ etc
  2009/12/14 Dmitrey <tmp50@ukr.net>
> I don't think the field name '__do_not_treat_as_scalar__ ' is a good
> choice. At first, it will be unclear what it is used for, at 2nd, some users
> / classes, that certainly are not scalars with overloaded __rdiv__ etc
> sometimes will prefer numpy __div__ method to be used.
> As for me, I would prefer something like '__use_self_operators = True' or
> '__use_numpy_operations = False' or '__involve_self_overloaded_methods__ =
> True'.
> I have to release FuncDesigner tomorrow (to keep my quarterly schedule) so
> please inform me ASAP which name do you finally choose.
> Thank you in advance, D.
I think it should have numpy or ndarray in the name somewhere to indicate
that it is numpy specific. Hmm <looks in thesaurus>, maybe,
__reject_ndarray__, ...
My preference among those would be __deny_ndarray__.
But isn't the issue present with numpy matrices or scipy.sparse matrices as well?
So I guess instead of ndarray another word should be used.D.