Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Feb 23 14:53:55 CST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 14:45, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 5:32 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I agree on this - having a "blessed" mirror so that anyone into DVCS
>>> could have a "reference" would be enough for me, at least as long as
>>> there is no good solution for bug tracking (the one advantage of
>>> switching to a DVCS is easier merging/branching, but I am worried
>>> about the workflow if the bug tracker cannot track branches).
>> The user pastes in the URL of his branch. Bug trackers don't really
>> "track branches"; they track the status of issues. Some bug trackers,
>> like that in Trac and Redmine, have some special mark up to make it
>> easy to refer to a particular revision in their repo browser. Is that
>> what you are talking about?
> Yes: specially when reviewing for release, I like the ability to go
> from a bug to the revision and vice-versa.

With Roundup, for example, we can make a field for people to paste in
the relevant branch URL.

> But my concern is a bit more general: I think there are still a lof of
> issues on how to integrate DVCS and bug tracking, and nobody really
> solved it yet. Some people have suggested putting the bugs themselves
> in the repository, launchpad is trying a lot of things, but is clearly
> struggling to get what's important and what's not, etc... DVCS have
> some very interesting UI issues, and I haven't seen a clear solution
> yet.

I think we should recognize that we will almost certainly not solve
the general problem. We should not let this failure impede us from
solving the more immediate problems.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco