[SciPy-dev] Scipy workflow (and not tools).

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Thu Feb 26 10:23:51 CST 2009

2009/2/26 Jonathan Guyer <guyer@nist.gov>:
> If I may very unfairly summarize the debate this far:
> Stéfan, et al.: There aren't enough tests. All code must have tests!
> Under penalty of death!
> Travis, et al.: But then we we shall have neither code *nor* tests!
> Stéfan, et al.: Good!

I agree, your summary isn't accurate: the world isn't that black and
white.  To summarise a profound story I heard the other day:

"A wise man first dams up the river, before trying to empty the lake."

Unless we test new code, how do we make time to clean up the old code?

I certainly would not like to see SciPy stagnate because of hard-line
policy.  My fear is, that unless we do something in order to protect
our scarce developer resources, we will see the same thing happening.