[SciPy-dev] Scipy workflow (and not tools).

Ondrej Certik ondrej@certik...
Thu Feb 26 22:54:21 CST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:23 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 9:08 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
>>> Ah, yes, good reminder!
>>> Could you give me a quick rundown of why you used --mirror earlier on
>>> when adding the remote?
>> The --mirror option adds
>>        fetch = +refs/*:refs/*
>>        mirror = yes
>> to [remote "origin"]. So one wouldn't need to edit .git/config manually.
>> However, the --mirror has another effect which I missed earlier: it makes
>> the remote consider all heads its own, so that "git remote prune origin"
>> would drop all branches, including local ones. Similar issue with
>> "git fetch". So I think it's not the correct solution.
>>    ***
>> But all of that is moot now. I finally figured out that I must push to
>> the mirror with
>>        git push git@github.com:pv/numpy-svn.git \
>>                +refs/remotes/*:refs/heads/* +master
>> Then it can be cloned simply with
>>        git clone --origin svn git://github.com/pv/scipy-svn.git
>> And "--origin svn" only because we want svn/trunk instead of origin/trunk.
>> Also git-svn can be activated:
>>        git svn init -s --prefix=svn/ http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy
>>        git svn rebase -l
>> And as a bonus, the SVN branches are visible on Github!
> Ah, nice, I did not find a way to do this - I used a dirty script to
> get local branches and update them instead. One thing which is still
> annoying is that tags are considered as branches - but I guess there
> is no way around it, since svn does not have any tag concept.

Btw, I guess you already know it, but if you need to clone the git
repository (for example David's) and then you would like to update it
using git-svn with the latest svn from scipy, here is the howto:

E.g. basically:

git svn init http://macromates.com/svn/Bundles/trunk/Bundles/Ruby.tmbundle
-R svn
cp .git/refs/remotes/origin/master .git/refs/remotes/git-svn
git svn fetch