[SciPy-dev] PEP: Improving the basic statistical functions in Scipy

Eric Firing efiring@hawaii....
Fri Feb 27 17:01:29 CST 2009

Pierre GM wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2009, at 4:52 PM, josef.pktd@gmail.com wrote:
>> For most of the current statistical functions, with the exception of
>> different tie handling, I think that we can expand the _chk_asarray to
>> do the necessary preprocessing.
> Mmh. _chk_asarray will always return a MA. Is it what you want? Are you
> An idea is then to use the 'usemask' parameter I was talking about
> earlier:
> * if usemask is False (default), return a ndarray
> * If usemask is True, return a MA
> * if the input is a MA (w/ or w/o missing values), set usemask to
> True, and mask the NaNs/Infs first w/ ma.fix_invalid.

This may not be appropriate for scipy, but for my own purposes I
included a third option for the similar "masked" kwarg in a simple stats

masked='auto' makes the output masked if and only if the input is masked.