[SciPy-dev] binary compatibility question

Sat May 16 06:10:16 CDT 2009

josef.pktd@gmail.com wrote:
> good, which means I need to start from the beginning.

> I'm using the virtualenv to run different versions, but not to build.
> With earlier versions of virtualenv it wasn't possible to build
> extension in a virtualenv on Windows, but I haven't tried this in half
> a year or so.

Ah, yes, sorry, I forgot. You're right, it does not work to build python
extensions - you have to install virtualenv from sources, where this is
fixed. To make things even more fun, the last svn version is broken. I
don't remember the exact number and my windows vm is shut down, but if
you look at the svn revision log, somewhere around beginning of april,
there is a mention on that fact - get this version, it works. Once you
get the right version, installing is a breeze, though, just python
setup.py bdist_wininst  + executing the installer.

> To build against numpy 1.2.1, I replaced numpy in pythons  sitepackages.

Yes, but this breaks eventually, because you always forget to update it
at some point. That's why things like controlled environments are
better. On windows, virtualenv is the only tool I know of which can do
that painlessly for python.