[SciPy-dev] contributing a CHOLMOD wrapper

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Nov 4 15:36:18 CST 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 15:28, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 01:25:12PM -0800, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

>> CHOLMOD is GPLed, so I suppose my wrapper must be as well, and is thus
>> unsuitable for inclusion in Scipy proper -- though scipy.sparse
>> already has a wrapper for the GPLed UMFPACK, so I guess I might be
>> wrong?

No, you're right. The UMFPACK support there has always been optional.
However, we don't want to add more optional components into scipy and
have been pushing this one out to scikits.umfpack.

> I would put the code in BSD, just to make it clear that people are
> welcomed to derive work for the code in BSD license, but I would make it
> clear that the package itself is contaminated.

I'd probably go the other way. Make it GPLed, but add a note that you
will relicense your parts of the code on request. Having wrappers with
a different license than the library itself is usually just confusing
for very little benefit. The code in the wrapper itself is usually not
very interesting.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco