[SciPy-dev] Cython and large generated .c files

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl@gmail....
Tue Nov 10 17:20:40 CST 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 10:52 PM, David Cournapeau
<david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Lisandro Dalcin wrote:
>> I have some naive code implementing automatic download of a zip file
>> checkout from the Cython repos. After a few fixes some time ago,
>> Cython can happily run with zipimport (there is a nasty warning that
>> could be worked for removal), so the build-time dependency could be
>> somewhat alleviated, the scipy buildsystem could just try to
>> automatically download a zip file in case of a missing/outdated Cython
>> installation.
> Please, no. Building should not involve any internet connection. This
> can fail in so many ways, we will get many reports of people with weird
> network policies and so on. And OS packagers will hate us even more.

David, Iwas just talking about building -dev SVN checkouts. Release
tarballs should ship the generated C sources.

> Cython becomes a build dependency, it should be checked and handled as
> such. I will add numpy.distutils support  to make this transparent
> (unless someone beats me to it).

What this means?

Lisandro Dalcín
Tel/Fax: +54-(0)342-451.1594