[SciPy-dev] Generic polynomials class (was Re: Volunteer for Scipy Project)

Tue Oct 6 14:14:13 CDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 12:59 PM, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith@gmail.com>wrote:

> Personally, I'd like to see NumPy "go back to" being the namespace for
> ndarray and broadcasting, plus such objects' "most immediately necessary
> and/or useful" accoutrement; of course, reaching an objective - or even a
> consensus - definition of "most immediately necessary and/or useful" is
> probably impossible, but IMO neither financial functions nor a polynomial
> class qualify.  Certainly, it would be optimal if one didn't need to install
> the whole SciPy package to use a polynomial object (or _any_ of SciPy's
> distinct modules, for that matter) but even if/while that's not possible,
> I'm still "+1" for putting these things in SciPy, not NumPy.
Well, I'd go that way if there were an  "extras" package that was easy to
get hold of and that consisted solely of python/cython modules for easy
building/installation. Call it scipy-lite.  Most of numpy/lib could go into
it and I'd be happy with that.