[SciPy-dev] ndimage - docfiller and output_type

Sun Oct 25 18:00:36 CDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 11:11 PM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Ralf Gommers
> <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com>
> >>
> >> scipy.stats does some processing of the input parameters like shape,
> >> to determine the docstring, but that could easily be put in your
> >> decorator.
> >>
> >> So, I'm not sure docfiller is the only or best solution, but it looks
> >> like something like it recurs in the code, and I think it could work
> >> for scipy.stats...
> >
> > Thanks Matthew. Searching for how other people/projects solve this same
> > problem I found nothing much fancier than docfiller, so I think I will
> try
> > to get an idea first of how much work it will be to change the
> scipy.stats
> > docs to use docfiller throughout.
> >
> > Then of course it would be good to hear from Pauli roughly how much work
> it
> > would be to support this in pydocweb. The ticket says "rewrite of
> > pydoc-tool.py" so it may be non-trivial....
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Ralf
> One of the differences between ndimage and stats.distributions is that in
> ndimage  functions are decorated, while the individual distributions (kind
> of)
> inherit the adjusted docstring from the basic distribution classes.
> The documentation can be improved (maybe with better templating as in the
> ndimage decorator), and I don't know how pydocweb can
> handle it, but I don't think we need to start to decorate individual
> distributions
> when we can use the class hierarchy for generating the docs.

For scipy.stats it might not be any better than the current method, but it
also would not be worse. The point is that it will be a lot of work to make
the wiki play nice with even *one* templating system.

Since a decorator is more widely applicable than the scipy.stats
inheritance, it could be a good candidate to be applied everywhere in
NumPy/SciPy and be recognized by pydocweb.

> One useful enhancement to the distribution docs would be to get
> autogenerated
> links to the description of the individual distributions that has been
> added to the
> scipy.stats.tutorial.

Yeah, that would help. Linking to .rst files in general could be improved