[SciPy-dev] Latex and docstrings

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Fri Feb 19 00:10:22 CST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 7:34 PM, David Cournapeau <david@silveregg.co.jp> wrote:
> josef.pktd@gmail.com wrote:
>> Before all the nice Latex disappears, can we rescue it and start a fft
>> tutorial page in scipy with the collection of all the formulas that
>> are currently in the docstrings?
> I never suggested to remove the latex from the doc, only from the
> docstring. I agree rendered latex is better than ASCII when put in the
> scipy.fftpack doc (or tutorial) - I did not know how to do it, that's
> why I did not remove the latex for now.

Almost none of the scipy sub packages has module level docs, for most
it's just at most a few paragraphs and then the list of routines.

The tutorials are a mixture of definitions, background material and
examples, e.g. linalg and signal contain mostly definitions and

I created a stub tutorial page for fftpack,
and copied the last correct latex version for dct.
I latex math doesn't render, so I changed the first two equations to
the same pattern as the equations are in the signal tutorial which
works. I also copied the first paragraph from the numpy fft module

Also I'm not sure what the section structure should be, but it's setup
for anyone to correct and add information.