[SciPy-Dev] scipy.misc.doccer: docstrings and role in relation to docstring editor

Thu Jul 1 10:59:31 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 7:41 PM, Angus McMorland <amcmorl@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've just found the scipy.misc.doccer object in the docstring editor
> wiki. Actually I was led to it when I looked at scipy.ndimage.docdict,
> which ostensibly needs a docstring according to the wiki. Only
> scipy.ndimage and scipy.ndimage.filter have these docdict objects.

It's also used in io.matlab and and stats.distributions.

> What's the story behind them?

It provides a convenient way to share parts of docstrings between different
objects by string substitution.

> Is there any way to conveniently use
> them in conjunction with the docstring editor;

No, and that's probably not going to happen any time soon since it's a lot
of work (would need AST parsing to figure instead of importing modules and
just looking at the docstrings if I remember correctly).

> should we remove them
> altogether;

can we at least remove them from the count on the
> docstring wiki?

It would be good to remove/hide the docstrings that use doccer in the wiki.