[SciPy-Dev] potential scikits package

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Jul 15 23:29:25 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 22:01, David Warde-Farley <dwf@cs.toronto.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 06:45:09PM -0700, Matthew Brett wrote:
>> Hi.
>> > Recently I have developed a package to read IDL save files into Python,
>> > at http://idlsave.sourceforge.net/. The code is now very robust, and works
>> > for many different IDL save files of varying complexity (including
>> > structures). Since this is something that is likely to be most useful for
>> > scientists, I was wondering whether it is a good candidate to make into a
>> > scikits package. In the long run it is likely this package (if re-licensed
>> > with a BSD licence) might be considered for inclusion in scipy? I noticed
>> > functions in scipy to read in matlab files, so this is along the same lines.
>> I would have thought that would be very good to go in scipy.io
>> directly.   I'm happy to help ...
> Agreed, though I think the purpose of starting it as a scikit would be to
> make sure everything (including documentation, hint hint ;) is up to snuff,
> satisfactory, etc.

It already exists as a package in its own right. There is no point in
going through the rigamarole of turning it into a scikit if it is
ultimately targeted for inclusion in scipy. Just do whatever needs to
be done in its current form before migrating it into scipy.io.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco