[SciPy-Dev] Does Matlab need to be MATLAB(TM)...

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Fri Jun 4 07:26:31 CDT 2010

On 6/4/2010 3:03 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> As for the TM, I tend to agree, it is pretty irrelevant, though I am not a
> lawyer. It might be better from a legal point to leave them there.

I think the usual rule is that the first use should show
the trademark. I cannot find that explicitly as law, but
see e.g.

The key role of the TM symbol is to avoid confusion
about branding, so in the case of MATLAB, this actually should
be more than adequate, since it is a clear case of nominative use:

Alan Isaac