[SciPy-Dev] Why does optimize.nonlin take a tuple for func to optimize?

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Wed Mar 10 15:47:52 CST 2010

ke, 2010-03-10 kello 16:09 -0500, Skipper Seabold kirjoitti:
> I am curious why optimize.nonlin expects a tuple for the function to
> optimize?  This seems inconsistent with the other optimize methods I
> have used in optimize.
> http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy.optimize.nonlin/
> Are there any objections to changing this to be more consistent with
> the other solvers which take something like (F, x0, args=()) and use
> optimize.wrap_function for the function to be optimized?  Perhaps
> there is something I am missing.

The nonlin module requires significant cleanup. I did some work last
spring on this, but didn't have time to finish it up fully.

The main holdup is the refactoring of line searches, and ensuring this
does not break anything, plus the overall design of the new nonlin

Pauli Virtanen