[SciPy-Dev] Scipy on Python 3

Thu Sep 16 08:05:36 CDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:

> Hi,
> I flushed the Python 3 branch containing work from me and David to SVN
> trunk. Scipy now builds with Python 3, and all tests pass, except for
> scipy.weave which still needs to be ported.

Thanks a lot to both of you for all the work!

> More testing is welcome. I suspect Scipy's test suite does not cover all
> of the code, so there might be some work left to do. You'll probably need
> the latest 1.5.x branch Numpy to build, due to some fixes in Numpy's
> distutils that are not in 1.5.0.
> Tested on OS X 10.6, looks good. One test error from weave, and the other
one is known as well:

ERROR: Failure: ImportError (cannot import name c_spec)
Traceback (most recent call last):
line 37, in runTest
    reraise(self.exc_class, self.exc_val, self.tb)
line 7, in reraise
    raise exc_class(exc_val).with_traceback(tb)
line 389, in loadTestsFromName
    addr.filename, addr.module)
line 39, in importFromPath
    return self.importFromDir(dir_path, fqname)
line 86, in importFromDir
    mod = load_module(part_fqname, fh, filename, desc)
line 13, in <module>
    from .inline_tools import inline
line 5, in <module>
    from . import ext_tools
line 7, in <module>
    from . import converters
line 5, in <module>
    from . import c_spec
line 381, in <module>
    from .. import c_spec # yes, I import myself to find out my __file__
ImportError: cannot import name c_spec

FAIL: test_pdist_minkowski_3_2_iris_float32 (test_distance.TestPdist)
Tests pdist(X, 'minkowski') on iris data. (float32)
Traceback (most recent call last):
line 837, in test_pdist_minkowski_3_2_iris_float32
    self.assertTrue(within_tol(Y_test1, Y_right, eps))
AssertionError: False is not True

Ran 4614 tests in 88.827s

FAILED (KNOWNFAIL=12, SKIP=41, errors=1, failures=1)
<nose.result.TextTestResult run=4614 errors=1 failures=1>

One other warning from 2to3 besides the ones from weave:

RefactoringTool: ### In file
/Users/rgommers/Code/scipy/build/py3k/scipy/interpolate/fitpack.py ###
RefactoringTool: Line 1087: cannot convert map(None, ...) with multiple
arguments because map() now truncates to the shortest sequence