[SciPy-Dev] Mountain Lion Scipy-dev build fails (Ralf Gommers)

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Fri Aug 10 01:56:29 CDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 4:08 AM, Aaron Andalman <nerduno.list@gmail.com>wrote:

> Ralf,
> Thanks for the information. You were correct; the -msse4 flag does appear
> to be coming from the brew installation of python.  Grep reveals the flag
> in a Makefile, and editing the makefile altered the results of scipy python
> setup.py configure.   Thus scipy now compiles!  Thank you.
> However, I'm hoping to understand how and why scipy gets the -msse4 flag
> from the Makefile?  Should this be modified?  Or should the brew python
> formula be modified somehow?

The flags with which Python itself is compiled are passed from Python
distutils to numpy.distutils. In principle that's what we want. Only scipy
doesn't compile with it; numpy does apparently. So we could try to filter
out that flag in numpy.distutils, but the easier solution is to remove it
from the homebrew Makefile.