[SciPy-Dev] Installing multiple scipy versions for development
Fri Dec 28 17:01:27 CST 2012
This is exactly what Anaconda CE let's you do by creating environments: http://docs.continuum.io/conda/examples/create.html
Here is more information about Anaconda CE:
- Cross-platform distribution for Linux, Windows, Mac, both 32 and 64 bit.
- Large list of included libraries, selected based on our knowledge of the Python/Scipy data analytics space
- All libraries and the Python interpreter itself are built to be installed relocatably, so you can put Anaconda into ~/anaconda or /opt/anaconda and not worry about it polluting the rest of /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib.
- Robust support for concurrently having *multiple versions* of libraries and even the Python interpreter installed all at the same time. Switching between these is as easy as setting PATH or explicitly running a particular 'python' via its full path. (See http://docs.continuum.io/anaconda/launcher.html#environments for more information about how this works.)
- Python package management tool that handles C extensions and shared libraries in a robust, reliable manner. (http://docs.continuum.io/conda/intro.html)
The functionality for much of this is actually in the conda package which is available here: https://github.com/ContinuumIO/conda or here: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/conda/1.2.1-52-g44d5674
You can also use Python virtual environments, but Anaconda's environments are intended to be more general and work with more than just different versions of Python packages.
On Dec 28, 2012, at 4:09 PM, Alexander Löw wrote:
> I am a newbie to scipy development, thus sorry, if the following
> question might sound stupid for some of you:
> What is best practice to install multiple scipy versions on my machine
> for local development?
> I run python under Ubuntu and have general python 2.7 installed together
> with scipy 0.10.1.
> I recently checked out the recent scipy source code. Now I want to be
> able to switch easily between the developer version of scipy and the
> stable code. How can I do this? I did not find anything in the Wiki. I
> guess I would need to change some PATH variables during by session, but how?
> Thanks for your help!
> SciPy-Dev mailing list
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the SciPy-Dev