[SciPy-Dev] [Probe] How amongst you are pro devs working for scipy ?

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Sat Jun 9 09:38:38 CDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM, David Kremer <david.kremer.dk@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 09/06/2012 14:56, Jason Grout wrote:
> > Does it?   For example, a college professor might work on scipy as part
> > of his job in order to add needed functionality.  Do they count as a
> > professional developer, even if they don't code for a living?
> >
> > A person that writes code for a living might work on scipy in his spare
> > time.  Does that make them not a professional developer of scipy?
> >
> > A person might be unemployed, and so work a lot on scipy, as much as a
> > regular job.  Does that make them a "professional" or a "hobbyist"?
> I don't mean to oppose professional developer and hobbyist, actually my
> question would rather related to a curiosity about where come from the
> scipy base code ? I know that scientists are working on it, but
> honestly, it seems to me such a great piece of work that I would be
> astonished if absolutely no company was involved directly in the scipy
> code.

Most of scipy code has been contributed by volunteers. Some paid
programmers often contribute bug fixes or new features.

Scipy is used by private companies as well (geophysics, finance, etc…)