[SciPy-Dev] Bundling Boost?

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Sun Oct 7 10:40:41 CDT 2012

I'd like to consider replacing some of the function implementations in
scipy.special with versions from the C++ Boost library, cf.

The reason is that these implementations appear to be made with more
care than what we use currently, and behave more correctly in corner
cases (cf. e.g. ticket #1740).

To minimize work, it would be useful just to use the Boost functions
direcly, rather than doing manual C transcriptions. The drawback here is
that the portion of Boost library required weights about 8 MB of source
code, and we would most likely like to bundle it, as it is not really a
standard part of many installations. This does not reflect much on the
compiled binary size, however.

I'm not 100 % certain about the compiler support. Perhaps C++ is already
mature enough to work across the platforms we care about.

I'm not aware of many good BSD-compatible floating-point special
function libraries, so if you know others, or would be opposed to
bundling Boost, please chime up!

Pauli Virtanen