[SciPy-Dev] 0.13.0 release schedule

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Sun Aug 4 17:12:48 CDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> It's time to start thinking about the 0.13.0 release. I have just submitted
>> an update to the release notes (https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/2685),
>> it would be great if you could check that and suggest more things that
>> should be mentioned.
>> My proposal for the release schedule is:
>> Aug 17 (just before EuroScipy): beta 1
>> Aug 31: rc 1
>> Sep 12: rc 2 (if needed)
>> Sep 22: final release
>> Does that work for everyone? If there are critical issues for this release
>> that are not listed at
>> https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues?milestone=9&state=open please add
>> them, or add a comment to the issue.

I'd like to finally make the threatened API changes in io.matlab.  These are:

1) No longer search python system path for mat files.
``loadmat('somefile.mat')`` will now fail if the file is not in your
current directory, and we won't search the python path for
 We threatened this would go away in the next version of scipy in
commit 08cfc9 May 29 2010, and put in a FutureWarning in e7be18e Nov

2) Change default saved 1D shape from column vector to row vector:

Threatened with FutureWarning in f7d9b150 Feb 2009 . Mat4 already
saves 1D vectors as rows.

3) Raise an error when trying to save arrays with > 2 dimensions to mat4 format:

DeprecationWarning since 54ae37d2b Jan 2010

Is this acceptable to everyone?  If not, do y'all have suggestions
about how to proceed with these?