[SciPy-Dev] working on integrate.odeint (was: Loss of precision using lsoda...)

Benny Malengier benny.malengier@gmail....
Fri Aug 23 02:32:30 CDT 2013

2013/8/23 Juan Luis Cano <juanlu001@gmail.com>

> On 08/23/2013 08:42 AM, Juan Luis Cano wrote:
> > On 08/23/2013 03:10 AM, Warren Weckesser wrote:
> >> The other python file (test_lsoda.py) also needs the correction to the
> >> coefficient.
> >>
> >> Warren
> >
> > Warren, thank you so much for pointing that out - I should never code
> > at 2 AM. Now test_lsoda.py produces the correct output, which suggests
> > I have to tune the relative and absolute error in test_lsoda2.py.
> Right, this was exactly the problem. Now the three tests produce the
> same output and I understand much better the interface. In the branch I
> pointed out before I wrote some issues as a to-do list and I plan
> working on fixing some integrate.odeint problems in the following
> months, when time and circumstances allow for that.

It is nice to clean up odeint or lsoda, but those are really deprecated
functions, replaced by sundials many years ago by Alan Hindmarsh (
http://history.siam.org/oralhistories/hindmarsh.htm). As I mentioned before
on this list, best would be to deprecate and replace by the modern version
which still sees bug fixes (

There are 3 python interfaces to sundials, one of which by me and a
collaborator: https://github.com/bmcage/odes
The other 2 are readily found on the internet, and expose even more of the