[SciPy-Dev] Lomb-Scargle Periodogram: Press & Rybicki Algorithm

Jacob Vanderplas jakevdp@cs.washington....
Fri Mar 8 19:18:56 CST 2013

We have a cython version of this Lomb-Scargle algorithm in astroML [1], as
well as a generalized version that does not depend on the sample mean being
a good approximation of the true mean.  We've not yet implemented the FFT
trick shown in Press & Rybicki, but it's fairly fast as-is for problems of
reasonable size.

For some examples of it in use on astronomical data, see [2-3] below (the
examples are figures from our upcoming astro/statistics textbook). This
code is BSD-licensed, so if it seems generally useful enough to include in
scipy, it would be no problem to port it.

Also, if you have implemented an FFT-based version, it would get a fair bit
of use in the astronomy community if you were willing to contribute it to

[2] http://astroml.github.com/book_figures/chapter10/fig_LS_example.html