[SciPy-Dev] NumPy/SciPy participation in GSoC 2013

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Thu Mar 21 16:20:31 CDT 2013

Hi all,

It is the time of the year for Google Summer of Code applications. If we
want to participate with Numpy and/or Scipy, we need two things: enough
mentors and ideas for projects. If we get those, we'll apply under the PSF
umbrella. They've outlined the timeline they're working by and guidelines

We should be able to come up with some interesting project ideas I'd think,
let's put those at http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/wiki/SummerofCodeIdeas.
Preferably with enough detail to be understandable for people new to the
projects and a proposed mentor.

We need at least 3 people willing to mentor a student. Ideally we'd have
enough mentors this week, so we can apply to the PSF on time. If you're
willing to be a mentor, please send me the following: name, email address,
phone nr, and what you're interested in mentoring. If you have time
constaints and have doubts about being able to be a primary mentor, being a
backup mentor would also be helpful.

P.S. as you can probably tell from the above, I'm happy to coordinate the
GSoC applications for Numpy and Scipy