[Scipy-svn] r4194 - trunk/scipy/cluster
Sun Apr 27 08:29:08 CDT 2008
Date: 2008-04-27 08:29:06 -0500 (Sun, 27 Apr 2008)
New Revision: 4194
Tightened the language of the kmeans docstring more.
--- trunk/scipy/cluster/vq.py 2008-04-27 13:18:37 UTC (rev 4193)
+++ trunk/scipy/cluster/vq.py 2008-04-27 13:29:06 UTC (rev 4194)
@@ -18,7 +18,7 @@
step of the k-means algorithm refines the choices of centroids to
reduce distortion. The change in distortion is often used as a
stopping criterion: when the change is lower than a threshold, the
- k-means algorithm is not making progress and terminates.
+ k-means algorithm is not making sufficient progress and terminates.
Since vector quantization is a natural application for k-means,
information theory terminology is often used. The centroid index
@@ -391,31 +391,34 @@
return code_book, avg_dist[-1]
def kmeans(obs, k_or_guess, iter=20, thresh=1e-5):
- """Performs k-means on a set of observations for a specified number of
- iterations. This yields a code book mapping centroids to codes
+ """Performs k-means on a set of observation vectors forming k
+ clusters. This yields a code book mapping centroids to codes
and vice versa. The k-means algorithm adjusts the centroids
- until the change in distortion caused by quantizing the
- observation is less than some threshold.
+ until the sufficient progress cannot be made, i.e. the change
+ in distortion since the last iteration is less than some
obs : ndarray
- Each row of the M by N array is an observation. The columns are the
- "features" seen during each observation. The features must be
- whitened first with the whiten function.
+ Each row of the M by N array is an observation vector. The
+ columns are the features seen during each observation.
+ The features must be whitened first with the whiten
k_or_guess : int or ndarray
- The number of centroids to generate. One code will be assigned
- to each centroid, and it will be the row index in the code_book
- matrix generated.
+ The number of centroids to generate. One code will be
+ assigned to each centroid, and it will be the row index in
+ the code_book matrix generated.
- The initial k centroids will be chosen by randomly
- selecting observations from the observation
- matrix. Alternatively, passing a k by N array specifies
- the initial values of the k means.
+ The initial k centroids are chosen by randomly selecting
+ observations from the observation matrix. Alternatively,
+ passing a k by N array specifies the initial values of the
+ k centroids.
iter : int
The number of times to run k-means, returning the codebook
with the lowest distortion. This argument is ignored if
- initial mean values are specified with an array for the
+ initial centroids are specified with an array for the
k_or_guess paramter. This parameter does not represent the
number of iterations of the k-means algorithm.
@@ -436,8 +439,9 @@
- - kmeans2: similar function, but with more options for initialization,
- and returns label of each observation
+ - kmeans2: a different implementation of k-means clustering
+ with more methods for generating initial centroids but without
+ using the distortion change threshold as a stopping criterion.
- whiten: must be called prior to passing an observation matrix
More information about the Scipy-svn