[SciPy-user] plotting enhancements and copyright

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Thu Nov 1 15:14:37 CST 2001

    JJL> I guess many of the possible contributors work at
    JJL> universities, who usually (like other employers) claim
    JJL> copyright on everything that their staff produce in the
    JJL> course of their work, so I'm wondering: do people ever
    JJL> actually take this seriously for relatively small (or large,
    JJL> for that matter) pieces of software without obvious
    JJL> commercial value?

Yes, this can be a real problem if university lawyers want to make it
a problem.

It is why I generally restrict contributions towards and use GPL'd
projects (the so-called "viral" nature is one means of getting around
IP problems if you are producing research-quality (which I'll unfairly
claim is generally of lower quality than commercial) software for
others to use.

I make exceptions sometimes, but one needs to be careful in those
cases.   For those of us with multiple (joint) appointments, this
concern is exponentially more problematic...

A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini at u.washington.edu
FHCRC/SCHARP/HIV Vaccine Trials Net	rossini at scharp.org
-------------- http://software.biostat.washington.edu/ --------------
FHCRC: M-W: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email
UW:   T-Th: 206-543-1044 (fax=3286)|Change last 4 digits of phone to FAX
Rosen: (Mullins' Lab) Fridays, and I'm unreachable except by email.