[SciPy-user] Re: IO problems on windows

Herb Schilling Herbert.W.Schilling at grc.nasa.gov
Fri Jan 18 10:11:14 CST 2002

>I'm almost sure that opening the file in 'r' mode only is the problem you are
>having.   I just learned that if you open a binary file with the 'r'
>permission instead of 'rb', then the byte '\32' is interpreted as EOF.
>It seems that something like that is happening in your case.
>I hope that fixes your problem.  I suppose I could issue a warning if the
>permission flag does not have 'b' in it because fopen is primarily used for
>binary reading and writing.

Hi Travis,

  That did it!! Everything works perfectly now. Thank you so much. You
saved the day.

Maybe the documentation page at

could mentioned this ?

PS. That page also doesn't mention the fopen's tell method that you
told me about. Maybe that could be included too?

Herb Schilling
NASA Glenn Research Center
Cleveland, OH 44135
Herbert.W.Schilling at grc.nasa.gov

It is not enough to run, one must start in time. - teabag