[SciPy-user] weave.test() fails

Fernando Perez fperez at pizero.colorado.edu
Tue Jul 23 13:18:20 CDT 2002

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Russell Cecala wrote:

> I was following the very simple instructions for
> installing weave on a windows OS.
> Basically all one is suppose to do is have Python
> installed and download and run weave-0.2.3.win32.exe
> and then test the installation like so ...
> Python 2.2.1 (#34, Apr  9 2002, 19:34:33) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
> IDLE 0.8 -- press F1 for help
> FAILURE to import weave.blitz_spec
> weave\blitz_spec.py:3: ImportError: No module named Numeric (in ?)

This is a much better report. The above line is your first problem. Weave
depends on Numeric, which you seem not to have installed on your system.
You can find Numeric at

Note that you want to download one of the Numeric-21 releases, NOT a numarray-
one. Numarray is a new generation of Numeric, still experimental.

After Numeric loads correctly you may still see other problems, but take one
step at a time.