[SciPy-user] Alternative to NumTut's view() function?

Fernando Perez scipy-user@scipy.net
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 19:51:46 -0700 (MST)

Hi Travis,

> If you have the PIL installed and a recent version of scipy you can use
> imshow(array)
> which will convert the image to a PIL object and show it through the PIL
> external viewer.

thanks for the suggestion, but with today's PIL and cvs scipy, this does
exactly nothing on my system.

> This works for both RGB and grayscale images.
> For grayscale images I personally use
> xplt.imagesc
> quite a bit  but you have to have a Unix environment.

Thanks! That does work quite well for plain numerical arrays, which is what I
need most.

It doesn't seem to be the tool for images such as NumTut's 'greece', this
gives a pygist window which is empty, and the following traceback:

In [6]: scipy.xplt.imagesc(greece)
MemoryError                               Traceback (most recent call last)

/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/scipy/xplt/Mplot.py in imagesc(z, cmin, cmax,
xryr, _style, palette, color)
    694     byteimage = gist.bytscl(z,cmin=cmin,cmax=cmax)
    695     change_palette(palette)
--> 696     gist.pli(byteimage,xryr[0],xryr[1],xryr[2],xryr[3])
    697     return

But that's ok, I can always use the modified 'view' I posted for images, which
I need rarely.  For numerical 2d arrays your solution seems great.

I can't wait for the whole Chaco framework to stabilize so that scipy can grow
an integrated, single data plotting system.  That will be really great.

Thanks again for all the help,