[SciPy-user] unhelpful error messages in weave

Christopher Fonnesbeck scipy-user@scipy.net
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 18:04:54 -0400

--Apple-Mail-2-740432095

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I need to be working in Python2.3,
so perhaps I will try coding the thing in Fortran and use f2py.
Incidentally, following your second point, there is wierd stuff in the
.cpp file, namely the following:

catch(...)
     {
         return_val =  py::object();
         exception_occured = 1;
     }

which appears without a try statement.

cjf

Christopher Fonnesbeck wrote:
 > Hi Everyone, >>I'm trying to move some C++ code over to weave, but am
running into >some problems that are difficult to debug. Specifically,
there are >try/catch messages referring to lines of code in my module
that do not >exist. Here is the error message: A couple of general tips:

1.  try first with python 2.2.  I've seen weird messages pop up using
py2.3
which don't appear with 2.2 (and weave.inline, of course).  I haven't
had the
time to make a small, clean test case to submit for Eric to look at,
though.

2.  use the verbose option in inline() and look directly at the
~/.python_compiled2.2/NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.cpp file which weave
auto-generates.
   It's big, but once you learn how it gets organized, you'll navigate it
pretty quickly.  You can try to compile it separately yourself.  I've
debugged
weave.inlined modules this way before.

Best,

f.
--
Christopher J. Fonnesbeck (chris at fonnesbeck dot org)
GA Coop. Fish & Wildlife Research Unit, University of Georgia

I need to be working in Python2.3, so perhaps I will try coding the
thing in Fortran and use f2py. Incidentally, following your second
point, there is wierd stuff in the .cpp file, namely the following:

catch(...)

    {

        return_val =  py::object();

        exception_occured = 1;

    }

which appears without a try statement.

cjf

Christopher Fonnesbeck wrote:

code over to weave, but am running into </italic>><italic>some
problems that are difficult to debug. Specifically, there are
</italic>><italic>try/catch messages referring to lines of code in my
module that do not </italic>><italic>exist. Here is the error message:
</italic>A couple of general tips:

1.  try first with python 2.2.  I've seen weird messages pop up using
py2.3

which don't appear with 2.2 (and weave.inline, of course).  I haven't
had the

time to make a small, clean test case to submit for Eric to look at,
though.

2.  use the verbose option in inline() and look directly at the

~/.python_compiled2.2/NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.cpp file which weave
auto-generates.

  It's big, but once you learn how it gets organized, you'll navigate
it

pretty quickly.  You can try to compile it separately yourself.  I've
debugged

weave.inlined modules this way before.

Best,

f. </fontfamily>