[SciPy-user] gplot documentation

gpajer at rider.edu gpajer at rider.edu
Mon Aug 16 10:03:56 CDT 2004

> Quoting Alan G Isaac <aisaac at american.edu>:
>> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Fernando Perez apparently wrote:

> http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/fperez/tmp/04_03_ams_athens.pdf
> contains examples of a fairly complex code which integrates mayavi, pyx
> and
> gnuplot (read matplotlib for future uses, this was done months ago).

This pdf along with your description of your computing environment (posted
a few days ago) are priceless.

A few questions about the presentation:

I assume the equations were generated in TeX.  What font is that?
Did you generate the presentation in PowerPoint, or a LaTeX (or ConTeXt?)
presentation style?  Or OpenOffice.org?
[Wait ... wouldn't be PowerPoint ... you're on Linux ...]
Or did you use PyX to generate the equations?

> the
> plots and figures you find there are actually methods built into my
> function
> and operator objects, which makes interactive work a dream.  They call
> whichever library is best suited for a given task, whether it's 2d plots
> (gnuplot/matplotlib), 3d surfaces (mayavi) or what I call 'diagrams'
> (pyx).

I'm not sure I understand, but I'm more than a little interested in making
"interactive work a dream".

Could you elaborate a bit: What do your functions and objects do?
Do you mean that the function and operator objects have "side effect" (in
distinction from methods that I might call "primary" in the sense that
they do mathematical processing and whatnot) methods that create
appropriate plots?

And much thanks for your contributions to the community.