[SciPy-user] Incorporating SUNDIALS in SciPy

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Fri Dec 10 05:03:46 CST 2004

Jan-Jan van der Vyver wrote:
> Dear SciPy-community,
> The latest package of SUNDAILS (SUite of Nonlinear and
> DIfferential/ALgebraic equation Solvers) have just been released (BSD
> license). Would it make sense to integrate this in SciPy? If not, why
> not? (The major reason I'm still using Matlab is easy to use ode
> solvers.)

I don't see any showstopper reason not to. There are a handful of
nitpicky reasons, however:

It *is* a relatively large package; the source is about 3 MiB unpacked
sans-docs. I'm not sure how many large packages Scipy can depend on.
This one may be worth it, however, particularly if you can get it to
work with sparse arrays.

There is a bug in its build process such that "make install" doesn't
work as expected on my machine (Mac OS X 10.3). It's easily worked
around, however.

F77 support (which would be the ideal route to a first pass via f2py)
fails to configure with my setup (Fink g77 3.4.2). This is probably an
error with my setup.

I think this would be a great addition to Scipy. I would suggest getting
it running outside of Scipy first (though depending *on* Scipy for
scipy_distutils, sparse arrays, etc.). Then, when it's usable, we can
integrate it into the Scipy hierarchy.

Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter