[SciPy-user] FYI: C++ Extensions for Python

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Mon Nov 1 21:58:44 CST 2004

    DG> weave - was going to write a python routine which had some
    DG> small piece weave code.  The weave code would be talking to a
    DG> C++ library or compiled python extension or something.  I was
    DG> able to make a C++ library containing all my C++ code but then
    DG> abandoned it after that, to see if there were simpler methods

This is a common thing you'd need to do with any other approach as
well since all of them would link to your C++ code.  Plus, building a
library out of .o's is straightforward.  I also recommend using SCons
to build your code.

    DG> swig - at first it seemed like a lot of work to copy

In my experience SWIG "just works" and works fast and well.  Oh, BTW,
if you do have SWIG wrapped code you can weave SWIG wrapped objects
too!  Look at weave/examples/swig2_example.py and read the