[SciPy-user] Re: [SciPy-dev] MCMC, Kalman Filtering, AI for SciPy?

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Tue Sep 28 14:01:14 CDT 2004

Fernando Perez wrote:

> Travis Oliphant schrieb:
>>> I don't think the library names should be mercilessly duplicated
>>> everywhere, but something like this can really help in a few
>>> places.  Obviously, a good, searchable, cross-referenced
>>> documentation is a key part of the soultion to this problem, as you
>>> mention.
>> As far as searching goes.  scipy.info started something like this a
>> while back.  The functionality was lost a bit when the delayed import
>> mechanism was used (but it could be modified to work).
>> The idea was that scipy.info(<string>) would start looking for
>> <string> in all the documentation it could find and then would print
>> what it found.   It still works on things that are in the namespace
>> of scipy but not subpackages.
>> try
>> scipy.info("fft")
>> for example
>> It is rudimentary, but shows an idea that could be pursued.
> Very nice, and I think a useful tool to have.  Note however that
> somehow scipy messes up the plain python help system:
> planck[python]> python
> Python 2.3.3 (#1, May  7 2004, 10:31:40)
> [GCC 3.3.3 20040412 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.3-7)] on linux2
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site.py", line 309, in __call__
>     return pydoc.help(*args, **kwds)
>   File "scipy_base/ppimport.py", line 381, in _scipy_pydoc_help_call
>   File "scipy_base/ppimport.py", line 366, in _ppresolve_ignore_failure
>   File "scipy_base/ppimport.py", line 335, in ppresolve
>   File "scipy_base/ppimport.py", line 340, in ppresolve
>   File "scipy_base/ppimport.py", line 202, in ppimport
>   File "scipy_base/ppimport.py", line 273, in _ppimport_importer
> ImportError: No module named for
This is the delayed import mechanism again (not info).   The fancyness
hurts some tools that rely on introspection.  I'm not sure if the
problem can be resolved as I very much want the delayed import

> Well, I keep hearing about .chm files, so I went ahead and did a bit
> of testing on this front.  It turns out that in my yum config, gnochm
> is available as a one-step install for a CHM gnome-based reader for
> linux.  I then googled for a second and found this:
> http://home.comcast.net/~tim.one/
> where a Python23.chm file is available with all the docs for python
> 2.3.  I opened that with gnochm andit worked really very well, with
> searching and good navigation.

I rather like the .chm file concept myself, and there are readers on
multiple platforms, so it's not a bad way to go.

So, let's add some help functionality that opens a .chm file in a new
window (if display is available).