[SciPy-user] interp2d ?

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Aug 24 13:51:48 CDT 2005

Pau Gargallo wrote:

>i'm looking for functions (like interp2 in octave) for interpolating
>arrays. For example for transforming an image from Cartesian to polar

>The function interp2d in scipy/interpolate/interpolate.py is
>unfinished and last changes had been done 2 years ago :_(
>Also, the tutorial.pdf talks about the function interpolate.linear_1d
>which i can not find.
>can someone help me?
>should i program these functions myself
>would my code be welcome?

Interpolation is in need of an overhaul.    A good interp2d would be
very welcome.  You can acomplish some of it using the B-spline module in
signal and the wrapped parts of fitpack.   But, as far as I know the
wrapped parts of fitpack aren't suitable for large 2-d interpolation

I would like to see the interpolation module greatly enhanced, but as
you can see, we are in need of willing developers.

Absolutely your code would be welcome.

-Travis O.