[SciPy-user] python crashes on scipy testing

rainman rainman.rocks at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 15:18:07 CDT 2005

Hello scipy-user,

God, that's one thing I hate about Open Source - having to hunt high
and low for binaries... or to face tremendous nightmares of

Let's see. I'm running WinXP on A-64. I have Python 2.4. Some time ago
I decided to try SciPy. Aw, hell! No prebuilt binaries for Py2.4.
And you need a ton of compilers to "make" sources.

But I'm stubborn. I had nerve. I took:

, then I tuned environment vars and started "setup.py build".

Oh! how cute! they forgot to put wgnuplot.exe inside! Let's take it
from SciPy_complete-0.3.2.win32-py2.3-num23.5.exe. Trying once more...

Tada! Compilation finally finished without error message.
Let's run:

import scipy

Yeah, a lot of "no test file" messages, dots, some cryptic mumbling
ending with "zswap:n=3", more dots, WHOOPS! python crashes.

So, the question is... WHAT ELSE???

Best regards,
 rainman                          mailto:rainman.rocks at gmail.com