[SciPy-user] Clarification

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jul 15 08:06:43 CDT 2005

   Which is why I wrote for clarification. :-)

> Numarray was evolved to address some perceived inadequacies in
> Numeric---numarray has some technical advantages, but has a more "under
> development" flavor to it, while Numeric is practically static. This is
> discussed in part on the SciPy page. The two packages are currently being
> unified, and preliminary work on this unification is available.
> http://www.scipy.org/wikis/numdesign/ Thus the Numeric/numarray distinction
> should go away "soon", but for the moment it is complicated by a 3rd
> option.

   This is what I assumed from my reading.

> ScientificPython is something else entirely. It is a collection of useful
> objects for scientific computation. You can use these in any of the above
> environments. There is some overlap with functions provided by SciPy.

   I suspected this. Such similar names doesn't help one looking for options.

> One last things as you come on board: I recommend Matplotlib as your
> graphics package in any of these environments.

   I'll take a look. I've used Gri for years and PSTricks more recently. I'm
also looking at PGF which has advanced considerably. The latter two integrate
very well with LaTeX.

Thanks for the insight,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President      | Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)  | Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"