[SciPy-user] scipy for win32 and python2.4 - howto ...

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 20 20:02:29 CDT 2005

Sebastian Haase wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 July 2005 16:59, Robert Kern wrote:
>>Sebastian Haase wrote:
>>>I was ready to build scipy for windows with python2.4 ...
>>>I have got the (now free!) Microsoft compiler VC7. I have been using it
>>>for a month or so on a couple of projects. I did the necessary tweaking
>>>for distutil.
>>What FORTRAN compiler do you intend to use?
> Good point ;-) Does that mean that cygwin/MINGW is then really the only
> choice ?

It's entirely possible.

>>>2) Really I'm mostly (only) in need of the plt module (for now).  Is
>>>there an easier way in this  case ?
>>Possibly, but plt, gplt and xplt are deprecated. It is suggested that
>>you use matplotlib instead.
> I know about matplotlib. I thought it would be quite a "big" thing to use for
> "just a graph". I'm using wx which still seems to be matplotlib's weakest
> platform.

For "just a graph," there really aren't any differences in "strength" of
the major GUI platforms. They all use AGG underneath. Embedding in a GUI
app is something else, but you don't seem to be interested in that.

> I really don't need "publication quality" plots. I would rather
> want to look into wxPyPlot again. That one is VERY fast and quite thin.
> Is matplotlib not getting to heavy for "really simple" plotting ?

<shrug> It depends on how slow is too slow for you. Since it is
distributed as a binary on Windows, it should be easy enough to try.
Easier than, say, trying to extract plt from scipy.

Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter