[SciPy-user] Scipy and ipython and Aquaterm

Zhiwen Chong zhiwen.chong at elf.mcgill.ca
Sat Jun 18 18:53:59 CDT 2005

Hi John

Thanks for your matplotlib recommendation. And I really appreciate
the bits of info about wx and ipython.

I was trying to get matplotlib to install earlier today but was
having a lot of trouble, because:

1) I decided I didn't want to use Fink. Fink almost NEVER works for
any of the programs I need, and it coexists badly with Apple's
bundled libraries, compilers etc.

2) So I downloaded the .mpkg on http://pythonmac.org/packages/ which
Chris Barker kindly provided, but that didn't work because the
installer assumed I had Python 2.3 (I am using Python 2.4.1) and
insisted on putting stuff in Library/Python/2.3 and /System/Library/
Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/share/matplotlib. (These
paths were hard-coded into the Info.plists in the .mpkg).
I thought of doing a 'grep -r "2.3" *' inside the .mpkg's directory
to find all references to Python 2.3 and change them to 2.4, but I
finally decided this was perhaps not the best way to go about doing it.

3) So this leaves one option: compiling matplotlib manually (which
I'm dreading because I'll need to manually find and compile all the
dependencies like libpng, freetype etc.). Fortunately, Chris Barker
wrote a included a nice set of detailed instructions for compiling
matplotlib in his package, so I'm going to have to go through that
slowly when I have the time.

Either that, or I'm going to have to look into Darwinports.

Zhiwen Chong
McMaster Advanced Control Consortium
Dept. of Chemical Engineering
McMaster University