[SciPy-user] Tiger and scipy

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Wed Jun 22 02:53:09 CDT 2005

Brian Granger wrote:
> Hello all,
> I wanted to see what the status of scipy on Mac OS X, 10.4 was.  I  just
> installed the CVS version of scipy on Tiger, but I had to use  gcc 3.3
> (sudo gcc_select 3.3).  I got the same error that others have  seen when
> I used gcc4.0.  Any word on how to resolve this problem  with gcc4.0?

I gave up since many other non-Scipy things didn't compile with gcc4.0.
I don't know if anyone is seeing gcc4.0 problems on other systems.

> Also, I have been playing with the bdist_mpkg command that comes with
> py2app (from the PyObjC project).  This makes it nearly trivial to
> build a double clickable Mac installer for scipy.  Has anyone else  done
> this yet?

Have I *ever*!

I probably won't update this until I get my build environment set up on
my Panther machine so that I can create packages compatible with both
Tiger and Panther.

> Also, has anyone made installer packages for the  other
> dependencies (g77 and fftw) yet?

> With a little work, it should  be
> possible to have a single metapackage for scipy that make  installation
> on a Mac trivial.  Anyone else interested in helping  with this?

Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter