[SciPy-user] begging for binaries

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Wed Oct 12 20:26:21 CDT 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Mathew Yeates wrote:
>>okay, I finally got everything installed. I think.
>>Now when I run scipy.test() I get a whole bunch of output followed by
>>python crashing
>>Here are the 2 lines before the crash
>>(scipy.linalg.decomp.test_decomp.test_svdvals) ...
>> ok
>>check_basic (scipy.io.array_import.test_array_import.test_numpyio) ...
> This is a problem with scipy distutils picking up the wrong system IO
> library.  I don't know why things changed in the move to Python 2.4,
> but for some reason, Python is being compiled against one system IO
> library, and scipy is being compiled against another.
> I don't know how to fix it, right way.  Everything worked fine with
> Python 2.3.

The official Python 2.4 binaries are being compiled with MSVC 7 and
against that runtime. John Hunter discovered a way to compile his
matplotlib binaries with mingw, but no one has yet reported if they've
tried this with scipy:

Some conflicting advice can be found at the bottom of this page:

Please try those methods and let us know how it goes.

Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

  -- Richard Harter