[SciPy-user] mat file problem in linux

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Oct 14 16:02:14 CDT 2005

Ryan Krauss wrote:

> I do have one ipython question that came up while trying to run my
> code: I found the command "ipython -pylab -p scipy" in my in my bash
> history.  If I use that to start ipython, my code runs fine.  If I
> leave off the -p scipy flag I get another problem with the *.mat file:

> What does the -p scipy command line argument do?  (I must have found
> it somewhere but haven't been able to find it using google).  And why
> does it save me from the error with the *.mat file?  Both start up
> methods lead to the same version of scipy being loaded:

ipython -p foo

tells ipython to load the foo profile, which is a shorthand for saying "use
the file ~/.ipython/ipythonrc-foo as your initialization file instead of

Since ipython config files can include one another, profiles typically are
small extensions to your default config (so you always get the same colors,
prompts, etc.) which tweak a few things.  Have a look at
~/.ipython/ipythonrc-scipy and see what it does that may be changing things
for you.