[SciPy-user] Numeric 24, matplotlib, etc.

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Sat Oct 22 19:57:50 CDT 2005

Stephen Walton wrote:
> Travis Oliphant wrote:
>>Installing Numeric 24.0 and scipy core allows matplotlib to work with
>>scipy core arrays (they get quickly converted to Numeric 24.0 arrays
>>behind the scenes using the array interface).
> Is 24.0 still around for download somewhere?  I used an old archive of
> 24.0b2 I had lying around, but didn't see Numeric 24 on Sourceforge,
> either as a download or from CVS.

The CVS is where it always was, but it looks like Travis made a 24.0
final release.

> It gets worse, because it turns out that the Ubuntu numeric packagers
> have broken it up into python-numeric, python2.4-numeric, and
> python2.4-numeric-ext.  John Hunter, are you out there?  I know you use
> Ubuntu;  are you just using old scipy until you get a chance to port
> matplotlib to new core?

apt-get the source for those packages. python-numeric is an empty
package that depends on the package for the appropriate Python version.
python2.4-numeric and python2.4-numeric-ext should both come from the
same source package. python2.4-numeric-ext contains LinearAlgebra et al.
If you install Numeric 24.0 yourself, then you can use the equivs
package to make dummy packages to satisfy dependencies if you like.

Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

  -- Richard Harter