[SciPy-user] plotting from within a wxPython app

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Oct 25 10:17:22 CDT 2005

On 2005-10-25, mike cantor <mcantor at stanford.edu> wrote:

> 	I am writing a GUI using wxPython to manipulate and run an ODE-based
> model.  What is the best way to embed a plot in the application?

This is just one guy's opinion, but I think the best way to
embed a plot into an application is not to.  After working on
several wxPython based programs that do plotting, I've decied
that I really prefer using Gnuplot to generate a separate plot
window.  I have the controls/data in the wxPython application's
window and the plot in a second window.  I find this to be much
more flexible, and you gain all of the interactivity of Gnpulot
windows.  For example, using the mouse the user can rotate/zoom
surface plots with the mouse, the user can find the cordinates
of points on an X-Y plot.

The user can hide the plot window while working on the data or
settings.  Once the plot does what the user wants, they can
show/maximize the plot window and not have any screen space
wasted by widgets.

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  They
                                  at               collapsed... like nuns
                               visi.com            in the street... they had
                                                   no teenappeal!