[SciPy-user] subversion and installation instructions?

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Tue Sep 6 17:29:31 CDT 2005

Giovanni Samaey wrote:

> I have tried to install scipy on ournew university-wide cluster, but I
> am unsure as to whether the install was completely successful.

Coming back to this after an absence to do some other things:  I believe
that, at present, it is still not possible to build scipy from the SVN
archive on a machine on which scipy was never before installed.  If I do
'rm -rf scipy* weave gui_thread' in /usr/lib/python2.4, and then try:

svn co http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/trunk scipy
cd scipy
setup.py build

it immediately complains that there is no scipy_distutils module.  The
best thing to do, still, seems to be to download Fernando Perez's
snapshot of the last CVS archive at

and build that.

Even using that archive, I'm finding that "python setup.py bdist_rpm" in
scipy/scipy_core doesn't work any more;  I think it used to.